I’ve been reading about healthy eating from Dr. Sachin Patel
and inspired by all the great recipes on his blog
, yesterday I was craving veggies and a healthy dinner. My kitchen only had a few veggies available – beets, carrots and onions. But also had vegetable stock and tomato puree. So I searched some soup recipes and took inspiration from several to create this soup that turned out delish!
I had this with baked homemade garlic fries and it was perfect. The beets give a wonderful colour to the soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 beet, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 vegetable buillion cube
- 1 1/2 cups water (or just 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon oregano seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup whole wheat rigati pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 0.5 cm ginger, grated
- Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat
- Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and saute until onions are transluscent and carrots are soft.
- Dissolve buillion cube in water to make vegetable broth.
- Add beets, tomato puree, vegetable broth, pasta, ginger and seasonings. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot!