Its technically spring, but winter like weather and fruit season in India. Lots of sweet strawberries, kiwis (well they are almost gone), pears, chickoo, pineapples and more. I tend to buy strawberries every time I go to my fruitwalla. Sometimes though, I dont get around to eating them.
I had a 200g carton of strawberries that needed to be used up, so I decided to make some fresh strawberry topping that I could use sometime in the next week or so, as long as I kept it in the fridge/freezer. I’ve actually kept this in the freezer for longer in the past. As long as you can prevent freezer burn, it should keep.
- 200grams fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chop all strawberries and set aside 1/3 of them.
- Place remaining 2/3 strawberries along with sugar and vanilla on medium heat until bubbly. Reduce to low and cook for additional 10 minutes. Be sure to stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Transfer cooked strawberry mixture to blender and puree.
- Add the uncooked strawberries to puree. Allow mixture to cool on counter.
- Serve over ice cream, pancakes, cakes and more or keep in fridge for use within week, freezer for longer storage.
I ended up using this on the vegan mini chocolate cakes.