My first attempt at lasagna was a huge success and considering how easy it was, its not surprise that I was looking forward to making it again. This time, I decided to mix it up a little and make mexican lasagna (with lasagna noodles not tortillas) and it was another big hit =)
But unfortunately I didnt get a chance to take any pictures before it was eaten up. I decreased the cheese this time and you couldn’t tell the difference.
Hearty Healthy Vegetable Lasagna
makes 2 square 1.6L dishes, which is enough for atleast 8 people.
- 12 lasagna noodles (I used no-bake noodles)
- 1.5 green bell peppers, chopped (or 1 cup chopped)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (or 1 cup chopped)
- 3/4 cup onions
- 3/4 cup corn
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives (increase or decrease per preference)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 grams paneer, crumbled (or ricotta cheese)
- 200 grams shredded cheddar cheese
- 2.5 cups of salsa, pureed
- If using lasagna noodles that need to be cooked, cook the lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Rinse with cold water, and drain.
- In a large saucepan, cook green peppers, onions, carrots and corn in oil. Stir in 1.5 cups of of pureed salsa and remove from heat. This is our vegetable salsa “sauce”.
- Crumble paneer and mix with olives.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cover bottom of baking dish with pureed salsa (without vegetables) . Place 2 lasagna noodles on bottom, layer with 1/4 each of vegetable salsa sauce and paneer mix. Top with pureed salsa. Repeat lasagna noodle, vegetable salsa sauce, paneer mix and pureed salsa layers. Cover with 2 lasagna noodles. Top with pureed salsa and 1/4 of cheddar cheese. Garnish with sliced olives. Repeat with second tray.
- Cover tray with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.