It’s carrot season in India so we have these wonderfully sweet carrots readily available. For a long time I have been thinking to bake my a carrot cake and today, I had a lot of carrots that needed to be used up so thought why not. Unfortunately all the recipes I came across needed eggs and/or pineapple juice and I had neither. So I looked around some more, mixed and matched to come up with this Pineapple Free – Vegan – Eggless Carrot Cake made in typical fashion with whole wheat flour. It was so moist and delicious to eat. You could see the pieces of carrots. Did not need any frosting. Definitely a keeper.
(Pineapple free) Vegan Carrot Cake
makes 1 – 9in bundt cake + 6 cupcakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (can used all purpose)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup oil (used saffrola)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter and flour bundt pan thoroughly.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the sugars to applesauce, vanilla and oil. Blend well.
- Mix in the flour mixture. [It may seem a bit dry here, but don’t worry] Stir in carrots and mix well.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until surface of cake bounces back upon touch. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.